Last updated: Jan 4, 2019
Thank you for using Alice. This document describes how we collect, use, and handle your personal data when you use our websites, software, and services (“Services”). Please also take a moment to browse our About and Frequently Asked Questions pages. Questions, concerns? Please email email@example.com.
What & Why
We collect and use the following information to provide, improve, protect, and promote our Services.
We collect, and associate with your account, the information you provide to us when you do things such as sign up for your account or upgrade to a paid plan. This includes an email address and not much else. You may choose to use throwaway email addresses if you like.
Alice is a recording and transcribing service. To make it work, we store, process, and transmit audio and transcription data along with pertinent information related to it. We treat your data with the safety and sanctity it deserves, and don't use it for marketing or research purposes. We don't hoard it forever, we don't make copies of it, we don't analyze it for research, and we certainly don't sell it.
The only times we’ll ever share your info:
2. If we’re required to by law. Read more about this in the FAQs.
We also collect information from and about the devices you use to access the Services. This includes things like IP addresses, the type of browser and device you use, the web page you visited before coming to our sites, and identifiers associated with your devices. This is common standard operating procedure for most websites. We go out of our way to not capture nor store anything not absolutely necessary to operate the Service. Your devices (depending on their settings) may also transmit location information to us. For example, we use submitted information to detect abuse and identify and troubleshoot bugs.
When you write to Alice with a question, we’ll keep that correspondence for future reference in our email inbox.
Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
You may have heard about the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in Europe. GDPR gives people under its protection certain rights with respect to their personal information collected by us on the Service. Accordingly, Alice recognizes and will comply with GDPR and those rights, except as limited by applicable law. The rights under GDPR include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. This is your right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession (also known as the “Right to be forgotten”). However, if applicable law requires us to comply with your request to delete your information, fulfillment of your request may prevent you from using Alice services and may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed.
- Right to Object. This is your right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. This is your right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. This is your right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable European law, or is based on your explicit consent.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alice won’t hand your data over to law enforcement unless a court order says we have to. We reject requests from local and federal law enforcement when they seek data without a court order. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made.
Security & Encryption
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. Data isn’t encrypted while it’s live in our database (since it needs to be ready to send to you when you need it), but we go to great lengths to secure your data at rest.
When you cancel your account, we’ll ensure that nothing is stored on our servers past 30 days.
Location of Service and Data
This Service is operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Service, participating in any of our services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.